Thursday, February 4, 2010

MUSH decks your halls with the most unique finds. by MARC CUENCO




MUSH
5651 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 464-6874
www.m-u-s-h.com


A HIT WITH LOCAL ART AND DESIGN AFICIONADOS.

MUSH showcases one-of-a-kind home decor, paintings, jewelry and gifts - all handpicked by owner Michelle van der Heijden."I consider myself a hunter" she says."I love when things are unique and handmade, especially aa and jewelry Our customers come in every week because they how we always have something new"1t's no wonder the name stands foremost Uniquely Styled Home"(but is also a reference to Van der Heijden's childhood nickname). Geared heavily towards interior products and decor, MUSH features flea market and estate sale finds at great prices. Van der Heijden's background as an interior designer, merchandiser and flea market seller inspired her to open MUSH in 2007. "Growing up, I was always doing window displays for my mother, who owned a gift store in New York," she says. "I’ve been doing interior design for client's homes and helping other people set up their shops, so one day I decided to open my own store."Her husband, film actor Emmanuel Todorov: runs the operation's website, which sells unique items from the store as well as mass-produced products.
MUSH is located in an Art Deco building built by Cecil B. DeMille. Appropriately, elements of new and old Hollywood can be seen all throughout the store, from vintage couches and coffee tables to statement jewelry from local designer Erica Elizabeth. Global goods can also be found, like mosaic resin lamps imported from the Philippines or a hand-carved bookshelf from Indonesia."I like a home to tell a story”, Van der Heijden says. "l like people to think differently and not really know why when they walk into a space. I want them to experience that when they come in to MUSH."

No comments: